As I’ve shared I am separated and getting a divorce. Check Out this Video
I have not even told some of my family this because of the backlash. The you should work it outs, and all the other nonsense that translates to “Fuck your happiness stay married”
While I tried to maintain my relationship and work it out; it took everything out of me, especially my confidence and self esteem. With all of that happening I stayed in my bad relationship for a while.
Why I Stayed In My Bad Relationship:
- I felt like this was the best I could do and it was as good as it gets. I really felt like I couldn’t do any better.
- I was manipulated. Every time I hinted that I was leaving I was threathened, since I’m being totally honest here deportation was one of those threats. I wasn’t here illegally I was waiting on my green card and my work authorization was expiring. (I just didn’t know any better so his threats of knowing people and getting my green card revoked worked).
- I was 80% financially dependent on him.
- I didn’t want to disappoint people around. I was ready and willing to be unhappy just not to disappoint people close to me or admit that it didn’t work. (In fact I actually disappointed some people by staying. I was depressed and not fun to be around)
- I was afraid to lose what I had. Though I knew what I had wasn’t perfect I felt like having that was better than whatever else was out there.
Have you ever stayed in a bad relationship? Why?
If you left right away what prompted you end it?