Getting a new puppy is exciting. This guide has been created based on a New York Apartment Living and my experience getting a new puppy.
Before Your Puppy Comes Home
- Clean and sanitize with a pet friendly enzyme cleaner – I suggest one with a scent (Avoid ammonia based products for these two reasons it’s harmful to does and the smell makes dogs think it’s okay to pee there.
- Set up pet area. Puppy Area Set Up for Apartment Living
This Can Be Done During Pick up if you are picking him up from a Pet Store that sells supplies.
- Dry Food specifically for puupies. This ensures they get all required nutrients. I suggest you find out what he ate at the store, or shelter and I suggest getting that at least for the first week to avoid any stomach/diarrhea issues.
- Wet Food. The first few days your puppy may not be used to it’s surroundings so he may not eat. Wet food helps.
- Treats for Training
- Activity Treats. Ex. Bones, Bully Stick, Treatball, etc.
- Toys – be sure to get some teething toys.
- Collar or Harness
- ID Tag
- Puppy Training Pads
At the Pet Store or Shelter be sure to get (varies by situation):
- Puppy Medical Records, Vaccination History
- Any Certifications and Ownership Transfer Documents
Enjoy Your New Puppy
I hope this list helps. I am not a dog trainer/breeder, etc.